When you need more room in your home
When you need more room in your home but don’t want to extend upwards or into your outdoor space, it’s time to think about going underground! A basement conversion opens up wide-ranging possibilities – and Plan Masters are the people to bring them to life.
The benefits of a Basement Conversion
If you’re lucky enough to live in a period property, you may have an existing basement that can be converted into a habitable room. We’ve worked on some beautiful period properties across London, converting basements that maximise indoor space and the owners’ enjoyment of their home. Our designs are guaranteed to meet your modern needs and local building regulations while being sympathetic to your property’s style and age.
Plan Masters work in accordance with planning/building regulations and your budget, but always consider the functionality and comfort of the new space. We’re mindful to factor in ways of controlling water and moisture to prevent flooding and damp. We consider how to generate natural light and ventilation to create a space you’ll love to spend time in.
Why choose Plan Masters for your Basement Conversion in London?
We’ve converted basements for numerous clients; everything from simple spare rooms to luxury entertainment spaces. We have the experience to plan every detail of your basement conversion to maximise the potential of your property. We’ll design a space that’s both functional and beautiful; a warm, light-filled basement that adds character to your property and pleasure to your life.
Is planning permission necessary?
Depending on the scale of your basement conversion, planning permission may not be required; we will advise accordingly, as all local authorities have their own planning constraints. Concerns about ground condition, over-development and the effects on adjoining properties all impact on planning constraints.
We’ll advise you on your local authority’s requirements and the options that will affect your planning permission application. We’re adept at securing basement planning approval and will provide all required drawings and documentation for your application.
Important points to note
1. Both cost and time are significant factors when it comes to basement conversions.
2. Basement conversions require highly skilled teams of architects, engineers and construction workers to ensure the creation of a safe, usable space.
3. Depending on the proposed level of work, the on-site start date will be affected by the party wall process. Notices need to be served as soon as possible, along with accurate information from an architect and an engineer. A main contractor is also required to provide construction method statements and must be evaluated for their experience and suitability.
4. Waterproofing is essential. There are three options but a combination of them all can be used, along with an internal barrier against the new concrete walls to trap water intake and divert it towards a sump pump. This then removes it into the new site drainage system.
5. Ventilation and natural light are also crucial. To comply with planning and building regulations, natural light must be directly provided into all habitable rooms. Ventilation can come directly from windows in light wells or via HVAC systems which provide fresh, controlled air.
Let us design the basement room of your dreams!
If you’d like to know more about the basement conversion process, or want to get the ball rolling on your project, get in touch with the Plan Masters team.